Sunday, September 05, 2010

Where Do You Want To Live?

What are the great communities of America? College Station was recently named by Kiplingers as one of the top ten best places to raise a family in America. While I tend to agree with that assessment, I know that many of the people that I grew up with and who left here to raise families in other places might respond to that ranking with a bit of eye rolling. I suspect that there is a strong correlation between the attitudes of a location’s diasporas and its overall value as a place to live.

If you had to move but could move anywhere in America, where would it be? What are the qualities that you look for in a place to live?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It depends on the state. This only based on some visits - Mississippi - Vicksburg (scenery, history); Louisiana - New Orleans (scenery, history, culture); Alabama - Huntsville (space program, scenery); Georgia - Atlanta (culture, quick access to nice scenery); Florida - Daytona; Tennessee - Chattanooga (scenery)

Unknown said...

Hey Hugh,
We returned to BCS to raise Quentin after living in some of the most beautiful places in the world. We'd already been here and done this after living here from 1983 to 1993, but when we put it on paper, it was obvious to us that this was the best place for Q at this stage of his life. Considering my feelings toward the oppressive heat here, it wasn't an easy decision.
That said, the best thing we'll do for him is leave Aggieland sometime down the road and continue his exposure to the wonderful diverse people of this world. One of the best ways to understand and accept other cultures is to experience being a minority in their culture.
I'm glad you're blogging again.
Sam

Hugh said...

Sam, That is an interesting perspective. I agree that exposure to diversity is crucial for one's growth (that includes adults.) For me that is what travel is about. I also feel a need for connection to place. The anonymous post above is interesting. This person seems to feel a connection to the south and southern history. What is our connection to place. Is it at the scale of the planet, a region of the country or the community of our upbringing? I suspect that it is different for each of us.

Unknown said...

I'm enjoying your blogs! Thank you Hugh Stearns!

I believe I'm living in the perfect place on Earth which is outside Ithaca, NY in a little town called Brooktondale. I can't wipe the smile off my face.