Monday, May 07, 2007

Recent mailer from Mark Conlee for Mayor

May 4, 2007
To our supporters and friends:
We need your help. We need your vote. Many of you have already voted and we thank you, but from looking at the list of early voters we are afraid we may be running behind as of this point.
Our opponent has been bringing car loads to the Municipal Building to early vote. A city councilman has been phoning nearly everyone he knows to ask for our supporters to vote for our opponent.
We need some help. Please call or e-mail your friends and please ask them to vote. We have had a lot of support but are afraid that people think Mark will win and will not bother to vote. EVERY VOTE COUNTS!!!!
If you know of someone that Mark needs to visit with and answer questions, just let us know -- A phone call or e-mail from you would really help.
Thank you
Cathy Conlee

Please don’t think that I am being tacky by putting this on the Blog. I have good reason to believe that many Conlee supporters read this blog. It is not my intention to make fun of this effort.


I have posted this because I find it surprising on a couple of different accounts. First of all, it shows a level of humility and desperation that I would not have expected.

Secondly, I did not know that MKM or her supporters were bringing carloads to vote. I don’t know if it is true, but I hope that it is. Helping people get to the polls is a very American thing to do. Bryan has a problem with people who are deeply disenfranchised. For years, generations really, the poor and minority people of north Bryan have been encouraged to vote, yet even when they did there had been little change in their neighborhoods. If people from north Bryan are coming out to vote for MKM, as they should, it is not for the promises that she has made, but for the good work that she has already done. If MKM is bringing carloads of people to the polls then by God we should pitch in and rent her a bus.

This race is about the difference in the city being run by and for the old guard or by and for the people. The Eagle in their fair and balance approach to this race tried to take one of MKM’s greatest assets and spin it as a liability. Not only does having served as the city manager give her great insight into the mechanics of city government, it also gives her connections to the people of the city that have been built through serving them. I don’t doubt that carloads of people are showing up to vote for MKM. She has proven that she knows how to be a good public servant and they are ready for a change. Please fill up your car and go vote early.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

My biggest problem with the letter is Ms. Conlee has either lied or made a disparaging remark about my mother. I have taken NO ONE except my mother to vote. So either the statement is a lie or she is calling my mother “car loads” either of which I find very offensive.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, deception is the tool most often used to keep power from the people.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Isn't Cathy saying that someone is spying on voters at the Municipal Building and then reporting back to her? Who is not telling the truth here?

Anonymous said...

How is this person even a candidate for mayor in 2007? What an embarrassment to the city of Bryan it will be if this buffoon gets elected. Hasn't Bryan progressed past this? Has anyone ever heard him speak intelligently about anything? It's going to look like the Mayor of Hooterville representing us if he has to travel around for our city. Let's all hope someone with dignity and a brain gets elected so that Conlee can get back to what he does best: failing at every business he's ever attempted to operate and squandering his families fortune. Vote for Mary Kay Moore and save Bryan's future!

Hugh said...

Anon, Let’s try to maintain some respect. What happens with the Conlee family fortune is really not an issue here. While I tend to agree that MKM is more articulate and seemingly more intelligent, that does not mean that Conlee is a buffoon. One thing is for sure, you will not hear MKM making or supporting such claims. If you are going to come out so harshly against someone, it is probably best not to do it anonymously, lest someone think of you as a buffoon.

Anonymous said...

Apparently the Conlees are not very highly thought of as property managers, either:

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/TX-College-Station-Manuel-Drive-Fourplexes.html

Anonymous said...

This is my first BLOG but after Ms Conlee's statement I have to chime in. I always liked her even though she is married to Mark. I thought she saw something good in him that the rest of the general public didn't. It is rather scary that the Conlee's are watching the poll places -- humm -- voter irregularities. I would not put it pass Mark. I agree with the comment made about having him represent the City of Bryan. What a disgrace - he gets liquored up and makes a fool of himself all the time and now could he could represent us -have youever heard him talk - he mummbles - probably because he doesnt know what he is talking about! If anyone needs a ride to the voting booth and you are voting for Mary Kaye - let me know - I have a large car. Wow - maybe I need to move to College Station if red face Conlee gets elected!

Anonymous said...

I also agree about Mark Conlee. I have nothing against MKM but is this all the ole Bryan Boy's could find? If Mark gets elected I hope he doesn't run the City like he ran all his businesses. The City of Bryan NEEDS MKM!!!

Anonymous said...

Anyone know what all of this means?

http://www.sec.gov/litigation/aljdec/id193lam.htm

What is this accusing Moore and Davidson of?

Hugh said...

This is accusing Moore and Davidson of absolutely nothing. Reading even the first page of the document would make that clear. While I did not peruse the document throughly, it seemed clear that someone else was being accused of wrong doing for which More and Davidson provided evidence. Why are you unwilling to make this unintelligent accusation using your name?

Anonymous said...

I think some of you are missing the point. Not that being mayor of Bryan is the most illustrious position in the world to begin with, but when someone runs for public office then they make it about them. How is it not an issue? One candidate has a background of coming from a successful family, yet failing at every one of his different business schemes and even running his family's restaurant into the ground. Then he runs for public office. Why would anyone think that he'd be any better at running the city? He clearly can't operate a small business and apparently can't manage his rental property properly either if you look at the other blog entries.

Anonymous said...

I think that the press somehow needs to research on how Mark Conlee doesn't pay his bills. I recenetly discovered how he backs out of his commitments.

I was amazed by his rental track record. Further amazed how he begged the Apartment and Homebuilders Association for support. I know first hand that he called 4 times begging for support, shame on you Mark!

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.